SILcet – Tool for SIL verification
(SIL Calculation Excel Tool)
SILcet tool helps you in calculations and SIL verification tasks of the safety instrumented functions (SIF) of the project. The main features are the following:
- It calculates the average probabilities of failure on demand (PFDavg), both of each of the subsystems and of the complete SIF.
- It calculates the Safety Integrated Level (SIL) of the SIF taking into account the three requirements of the IEC-61508/61511 Standards (systematic capability, failure probability and architectural constraints according to the Route 1H or 2H).
- It allows to select different architectures for each one of the subsystems of the SIF (1oo1, 1oo2, 2oo2, 2oo3, 2oo4, 1oo2D, 1oo3, 1oo4, 3oo3), as well as calculate complex configurations combining up to 5 groups of architectures.
- The data entry for the calculation and SIL verification can be done in different ways, either manually (with the failure rates or with the previously calculated PFD) and by importing the failure rates from the elements databases of the user.
- It allows generating two types of reports of up to 35 SIFs (Safety Instrumented Functions).
- It allows you to enter the costs of the components of the SIF to compare the cost of different solutions.
- It allows calculating the β factor for common cause failures according to one of the methodologies recommended in IEC-61508.
- It compares SIL calculations of different SIF designs.
- The tool and the manuals are in English and the reports can be configured in any language.
- The tool is also provided with a reduced version of the documentation of the course “Design of the SIF and SIL calculation”, which includes real examples both for the modernization of existing SIS and for the design of new projects. This course will be available both face-to-face and on-line.
- Both the SILcet tool and the training course have been developed following the recommendations of Standard IEC-61508 for low demand safety functions, common in the process industry.
- SILcet is an Excel workbook that uses formulas and macros in Visual Basic.
- The technical requirements for the use of SILcet are the following: Windows 7, 8, 10 and Excel 2010 SP2, 2013, 2016, 365.
In which cases should I use a tool like SILcet?
- For calculating the SIL and MTTFS in the early stages of any project (pre-FEED, FEED, etc.)
- In the early stages of EPC projects to avoid later changes in design.
- To verify the SIL of complex configurations.
- To compare different designs of the Safety Instrumented Function.
- To verify the safety level of any new or existing installation.
- For the training courses on Functional Safety.